Zuppa di Fagioli (White Bean Soup with Bacon)
Enjoy a wonderful fall recipe from Tuscany. Tuscany is known for hearty dishes, many of them soups. From a classic Ribollita and Pappa al Pomodoro to different vegetable soups, traditional Tuscan cuisine is perfect for fall and winter. Try this classic white bean soup with some crusty Italian bread and a wonderful Tuscan red wine.
Zuppa di fagioli
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 90 minutes
Cook method: Simmer
- 100 grams dried Northern white beans, soaked overnight
- 2 slices salted bacon cut into pieces (pancetta)
- ½ small chopped red onion
- olive oil
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Rinse the dried beans and place directly in 1 liter of water in a soup pot and boil until the beans become a puree. (Add more boiling water if beans become dry).
2. In a separate pan, sauté the chopped onion and bacon pieces in olive oil.
3. Add the onions and bacon to the bean mixture, then add the tomato paste, salt and pepper to taste.
4. Cook for about 45 minutes over a low flame, stirring occasionally.
5. Serve warm topped with a swirl of high-quality extra-virgin olive oil.
See some of our favorite Tuscany culinary tours including:
- Classic Tuscan Table at Villa Casagrande
- Cooking under the Tuscan Sun
- Living the Real Tuscan Dream
- Cook in the Heart of Chianti
- Best of Tuscany: Wine Tasting Tour on Tuscany’s Western Coast
Sign up to receive our newsletter, which includes travel tips, recipes, promotions, and information on our best culinary tours.