July 7, 2020
We are often asked what our favorite destinations for the best cooking vacations are, and as I explained in our recent video (see below!), that…Read This Post
There are some cocktails and summer beverages that seem intrinsically tied and associated to a specific place. A margarita is like that for Mexico, just as sangria is for Spain. But on your next overseas culinary vacation, consider trying some of the other local flavors by mixing it up with your drink order! In the meantime too you can craft your own cocktail with some inspiration from some of our chefs.
Here are two unique Summer drinks that you’re going to want to try: a fruity raspberry martini fizz from our Spain culinary tours, and a cucumber jalapeño “Mezcalita” from our Hola Mexico cooking vacation.
1. Start by mixing the martini rosso with the gin, and then chill. (If you’re making this drink well ahead of time, store in a bottle. If you have more room in your freezer or fridge, consider chilling the champagne glasses you’ll be using to serve your drinks, too).
2. When you’re ready to make and serve your drink, put 1/2 teaspoon of icing sugar into each glass.
3. Pour the martini mixture over the sugar, and then mix with a spoon.
4. Add in the frozen raspberries, and then finish by topping with sparkling wine.
1. Start this cocktail in a saucepan! Mix the sugar and water together, and bring to a boil for about 5 minutes to create a simple syrup.
2. Then turn off the heat, and add in the roasted jalapeño chiles. Allow the ingredients to come up to room temperature.
3. Remove the jalapeños from the simple syrup, and set aside the jalapeños so they can be used as a garnish.
4. To a blender add the jalapeño simple syrup, cucumber, mezcal, and lime juice, and blend well.
5. Use an old-fashioned glass, and put the Tajin chile powder around the rim. Add ice to the glass.
6. Pour in the cocktail mixture, and then top with a roasted jalapeño chile and sprig of cilantro.
Whichever cocktail you decide to enjoy on a hot summer day, enjoy!
Learn about our favorite New Year’s Eve cocktail recipes.
Sign up to receive our email newsletter, which includes travel tips, recipes, promotions, and information on our best cooking vacations.