Taroz with Valtellina Casera DOP-Cheese
Many typical dishes that hail from the Valtellina Valley — situated in northern Italy among the Alps — feature vegetables grown in the lush area. Taroz, pronounced tarozch, is one such dish. While not as well-known as the Valtellina’s prized pizzoccheri, this antipasto dish highlights everything wonderful about the area, from the potatoes grown in the mountain village of Sacco to the locally-produced traditional cheese.
* 350 grams (12 1/4 oz) potatoes
* 250 grams (8 3/4 oz) green beans
* 180 grams (6 1/2 oz) Valtellina Casera DOP
* 1 onion
* 100 grams (3 1/2 oz) butter
* 200 grams (7 oz) bacon
1. Boil the potatoes and green beans separately.
2. Cut the Valtellina Casera DOP into pieces.
3. Fry the chopped onion and bacon into thin strips.
4. Mash the potatoes.
5. Cut the green beans into small pieces and add to the potatoes, along with the butter and Valtellina Casera DOP. Mix all of this together for about five minutes. Add salt, pepper, and sage to taste.
6. While still hot, serve. This appetizer is wonderful alongside an array of cold cuts. Chef Gianni of Authentic Farm to Table Experience recommends salami.