June 16, 2021
One of our culinary travelers' favorite activities when they participate in our Italy cooking vacations is making cheese. This is not part of every itinerary:…Read This Post
In 2010 The International Kitchen paired with Star Fine Foods on a recipe-creating contest featuring Star Fine Food’s products. The grand prize was an all-expenses culinary vacation in Spain with The International Kitchen!
The Grand Prize winner from the Star Fine Foods Recipe Contest was for Rosemary Scented Feta & Olive Oil Shortbread with Date Jam by Laureen Pittman. The recipe features both Star Fine Food’s Extra Virgin Olive Oil as well as its Balsamic Vinegar. We are happy to feature it here, and thank you to everyone who participated!
Serves: 6-8 as appetizer
Prep time: 140 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Cook method: Bake, Simmer
1. For Shortbread: In food processor, combine feta, olive oil and butter. Process until creamy.
2. Mix flour, rosemary, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Add to feta mixture in processor, a little at time, pulsing just to combine. Process until clumps start to form. Add 1 Tbsp of water if necessary.
3. Knead dough with your palms until dough holds together. Shape into log about 2 inches in diameter. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate 2 hours or overnight. Can be made ahead and refrigerated up to 3 days.
4. Preheat oven to 325°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Remove the log from fridge and unwrap. Slice into ¼ inch thick rounds.
5. Arrange rounds on lined baking sheet and bake on center rack until golden, 18-24 minutes. Remove and cool on rack. Shortbread can be prepared 3 days in advance and stored in an airtight container at room temperature.
6. For Date Jam: Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat, add onions and sauté 15-18 minutes until golden and tender. Stir in remaining ingredients and bring to boil over high heat.
7. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture is thickened to the consistency of jam, 20-30 minutes. Set aside. Jam can be made several days in advance and refrigerated. Bring jam to room temp or warm gently in microwave before serving.
8. Arrange shortbread on serving platter and serve with date jam. Makes 25-30 shortbreads – Serves 6-8 as an appetizer.
By Peg Kern
Sign up to receive our newsletter, which includes travel tips, recipes, promotions, and information on our best cooking vacations.