June 16, 2021
One of our culinary travelers' favorite activities when they participate in our Italy cooking vacations is making cheese. This is not part of every itinerary:…Read This Post
With the freezing temps this Winter, it’s time to warm up with some cooking. While this recipe isn’t a traditional cappuccino by any means – it doesn’t include coffee! – it is a wonderful, hearty soup that’s sure to heat up your kitchen and your bellies. Savor the flavors of pumpkin and spice, as well as some sweetness from amaretti biscuits, with this delicious recipe from the kitchen of our Tuscan cooking vacation Luxury Lucca Villa Cooking.
Discover more traditional recipes with a visit to Tuscany, or any of our Italy culinary vacations.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 75 minutes
Cook method: Bake, Simmer
1. Preheat the oven at 400F.
2. Wash your squash, halve it, and, using a spoon, take out the seeds. Cut it into large chunks, and keep the skin on.
3. Cover a baking tray with parchment paper and then place the squash, salt and pepper. Also drizzle some olive oil and then grate some nutmeg on top.
4. Roast for 40-45 minutes or until the squash is soft. Take out from the oven and set aside.
5. Wash the leek and slice the white part into small pieces.
6. On a skillet melt the butter, and to the butter, add a few tablespoons olive oil and sauté the leek. If necessary add a few spoons of hot water.
7. With a spoon take out the cooked squash from the skin and add it to the skillet. Add a cup of vegetable stock and cook for about 30 minutes. Reduce it to a thick cream with an immersion blender. After tasting it, adjust flavor with salt and pepper.
8. Use a blender to mix the blue cheese and the heavy cream to obtain the consistence of a mousse.
9. Serve hot in a bowl or even better in a cappuccino cup. Place a spoon of mousse in the middle. Finish by garnishing with crumbs of amaretti, squash seeds, and fresh grated cubeb berries or black pepper. You can also toast dark bread and serve a couple of slices with each portion. Buon appetito!
Sign up to receive our newsletter, which includes travel tips, recipes, promotions, and information on our best cooking vacations.