July 7, 2020
We are often asked what our favorite destinations for the best cooking vacations are, and as I explained in our recent video (see below!), that…Read This Post
Indian cuisine is incredibly varied, which is not surprising given the size and multi-ethnic nature of India itself! From meat kebabs to vegetarian palak, from curries to tandoors, Indian cuisine has it all. Today we’re featuring just one new recipe from our fabulous cooking vacations in India. We hope you’ll enjoy it!
800 gr mutton meat, minced
100 gr raw papaya
100 gr lamb fat
75 gr roasted gram (chickpea) flour
10 gr ground cayenne pepper
20 gr ginger and garlic paste
100 gr vegetable oil
salt, to taste
Galawat masala spice mix (see below)
Lemon wedges and sliced onion, for garnish
Hot coal (for smoking)/p>
1. Make the galavat masala by grinding the ingredients together.
2. Mix together the minced mutton and lamb fat (or pass them together through a meat grinder if you buy the mutton meat whole).
3. Mix in the gram flour, cayenne, salt, and ginger/garlic paste.
4. Add the galavat masala and mix thoroughly.
5. Make a well in the meat, add a bit of fat and place the hot coal on it. Cover immediately. (This adds a smoky flavor.)
6. Heat vegetable oil in a skillet, pat the meat into medallions of about 60 gr each, and cook them on both sides until done. 7. Serve hot with onion slices and lemon wedges.
And don’t forget, for these and other recipes, try a cooking vacation in India! What’s your favorite Indian dish? Are you going to try this one with the hot coal, or go the easy route and omit the smoke? Let us know in the comments or on social media!
By Peg Kern
Sign up to receive our newsletter, which includes travel tips, recipes, promotions, and information on our best culinary vacations.