Fall is one of our favorite culinary times of the year. Not only do we love the fall produce that you can find at local markets throughout Europe, but we love the return of soup season!
At our home, we have soup at least twice a week during the fall and winter. It’s the easiest way for me to get my kids to eat vegetables, and who doesn’t love a one-pot meal? If I have time, I’ll make some homemade focaccia to serve with it.
When you eat a lot of soup, you can never have too many soup recipes, so try this one that we whipped up last night! The potatoes make it hearty enough to enjoy as a meal, and the spinach gives it a bit of brightness. You could easily leave out the cream if you want a dairy-free version. Enjoy!
Creamy Potato, Leek, and Spinach Soup
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Cook method: Simmer
- 1 large leek, cleaned and trimmed
- 5 medium size yellow potatoes, cleaned and cubed
- three cloves garlic
- 6 cups bone broth (or vegetable broth)
- few sprigs of fresh thyme
- 2 large handfuls of baby spinach
- heavy cream, to taste
- salt and pepper, to taste
- olive oil
1. Chop the leeks and saute them in olive oil in a heavy bottom pot or dutch over for 5-7 minutes over medium heat, enough to give them a bit of color. Season with a bit of salt.
2. Add the garlic, give a quick stir, then add the cubed potatoes. (You can peel the potatoes if you want, but I use thin-skinned yellow potatoes and leave the skins on.) Season with salt, then cook the potatoes for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
3. Add the thyme and cook a few minutes more, then add the broth. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 10 to 15 minutes more, until the potatoes are tender but not falling apart.
4. Remove the thyme stems. Add the spinach and stir into the hot soup. The spinach will wilt almost immediately.
5. To finish, add about 1/2 to 1 cup of heavy cream. Give it a stir and serve immediately.
What are your favorite fall soup recipes? Share with us in the comments!
Try these other wonderful soup recipes:
- Italian Style Pumpkin Soup
- The Best Chicken Noodle Soup
- Thai Beef Noodle Soup
- Harira (Moroccan chickpea and lentil soup)
By Peg Kern
Sign up to receive our newsletter, which includes travel tips, recipes, promotions, and information on our best cooking vacations.