June 23, 2022
Harira is one of my favorite Moroccan dishes. There are many variations but they all include legumes (usually lentils and chickpeas), tomato, onion, turmeric, and…Read This Post
Today is National Watermelon Day, and in honor of one of our favorite summer foods we’re featuring five amazing ways to use this summer staple. Of course, the best way to enjoy watermelon might just be the old fashioned way – slice by slice – but we’ve found a number of ways to jazz it up on a hot summer day.
1. Dice all the ingredients. Seed the jalapeños if you want the salsa to be less spicy, or leave them in for extra kick.
2. Put all the ingredients in a bowl and blend. Serve immediately with tortilla chips.
Chef’s note: If you want to jazz it up more, add some diced pineapple as well. The sourness of the pineapple and the sweetness of the watermelon make a great combination!
Check out our watermelon, cucumber and herb salad recipe, perfect as part of an Iftar meal during Ramadan, or as a side for any summer meal!
It make a great salad to take to a summer potluck!
1. Puree in a blender until smooth, then stick in the freezer for 45 minutes to get it extra cold.
2. Process in your ice cream maker according to the machine instructions.
3. Keep in the freezer until time to serve, and garnish with a sprig of mint.
This is as easy as it sounds! Cut the watermelon into cubes and freeze them individually on a tray. Once they are frozen, put them in a plastic bag in the freezer, then use them to dress up sparkling water or cocktails!
1. Puree the watermelon in a food process or blender.
2. Add the honey and lemon juice. Put the mixture in an oblong glass baking pan and put in the freezer until frozen.
3. Just before serving, process it again in batches until smooth (if necessary, add a small bit of water to help with the processing).
What are your favorite things to do with watermelon?
By Peg Kern
Sign up to receive our newsletter, which includes travel tips, recipes, promotions, and information on our best cooking vacations.