Colors of Burgundy
Considered the gastronomic heart of France, the Burgundy region is perhaps most famous for its diverse array of exquisite wines and its local culinary pleasures such as beef bourgignon and coq au vin. Local chefs are famous for using high-quality, ultra-fresh local ingredients to create rich and hearty dishes, some of which are only available locally.
Marigny-le-Cahouet, the location of your cooking vacation, is a charming, typical, sleepy French village, with a bar, bread shop, provisions shop, small traditional village school, maire and post office. Meandering its way alongside is the stunning Burgundy Canal. Ever changing with the seasons, it is lovely to jog, stroll, cycle or cruise the waterways, taking in the magnificent scenery. The village is stunning all year round, with the summer sun blazing across the trees, and the autumn leaves that glow with fiery reds and oranges.
Just 10 minutes away is the medieval town of Semur-en-Auxois, one of the most picturesque towns in Burgundy. The majority of its medieval town center remains intact after hundreds of years of use and activity. Semur has achieved a balance between offering the amenities and access that a modern town must have while preserving its quaint appearance and its relaxed, pleasant attitude. The town is nestled within a loop in the river Armançon, which winds its way casually through the town bordered by houses on either side. The town’s medieval wall and battlements remain a popular tourist attraction, and throughout the year its ramparts are lit at night in a breathtaking display.
Your hosts Katherine and her husband Yannick look forward to welcoming you at their lovely home. Katherine grew up in England and spent much of her childhood visiting France, where she moved at the age of twenty-two. She and her husband Yannick eventually settled in Burgundy, where Yannick has worked at house restoration and as a Barge Pilot and Katherine as a Chef for the American/French Barging Company. They eventually combined their areas of expertise to complete their dream restoration of a beautiful, two hundred year-old farmhouse in Burgundy where they host special gastronomic vacations.
Colors of Burgundy Itinerary
Order of activities and specific excursions subject to change depending on the specific dates booked.
- Transfer to your accommodation from Montbard train station. Please plan to arrive at about 4:00 PM.
- After settling in, enjoy a local Burgundian aperitif and welcome chat.
- You will have plenty of time to explore the village and meander along the canal before dinner where you will discuss the week’s program and delight in a wine tasting with our expert Brendan Moore who will explain the sometimes confusing appellation of Burgundy’s famous wines.
- Dinner will be prepared by your hostess.
- After a breakfast, you will have your first culinary class, in which you will discuss basic knife skills and learn how to combine fragrant herbs with local ingredients.
- Lunch will follow based on your efforts in the courtyard, weather permitting.
- Following lunch, visit the Vineyard of Flavigny where the movie “Chocolat” was filmed.
- Dinner will be cooked by the group and your hostess.
- After breakfast, depart to the heart of the Dukes of Burgundy’s home, Dijon, where you find ingredients at the market for the afternoon cooking class. Return via the Ducal Palace.
- A rustic lunch from the market will be enjoyed in the courtyard, and then you will be treated to a bread making lesson with the local organic baker.
- After your return to the property, you will be cooking with produce from the Dijon market, your second hands-on cooking class.
- Dinner will be cooked by your hostess and all those who wish to join in.
- After breakfast Katherine will be concentrating on requests from all the guests, mastering the secrets of traditional French cuisine, for example classic sauces, vinaigrettes, veloutés and stocks, creating the perfect pâté, smoking a sublime duck fillet, or even basics of tempering chocolate.
- Dinner will be cooked and served by your hostess where she will demonstrate seasonal recipes from her cookbook
- A free morning to meander along the Burgundy canal before heading out to Michelin starred Bernard Loiseau for lunch in the beautiful surroundings of their gardens.
- Returning home you shall be preparing a light supper with ingredients from the potager.
- This morning you shall be preparing lunch together and then taking a trip into the local town of Semur en Auxois.
- Your farewell supper will be a culmination of all you have learned during your stay.
- Breakfast followed by transfer to Montbard train station. Au revoir!