Delectable Dordogne: Land of the Black Truffle
Discover the flavors and natural beauty of the Dordogne, France’s black truffle country. The Dordogne — also known as the Périgord — is a region rich in delicacies and gastronomy all year round, in no small part due to the foie gras and other duck and goose-based ingredients. Come spring time, delight in morel mushrooms, white asparagus, and strawberries. Summer brings a bounty of fresh produce and fruit, and the Fall is time for walnuts, chestnuts, and more mushrooms. It can even be argued that the Winter is a wonderful time to visit, as its the best time to experience the famous black Périgord truffle, which are also known as the ‘Diamonds of Périgord.’ In fact, the truffle here is the centerpiece of many traditions in the Dordogne, and that is reflected everywhere!
Delectable Dordogne: Land of the Black Truffle Trip Details
Included in the 5-Night Trip
5 nights accommodation in 3* hotel
Food & Beverages
- Daily breakfast
- 3 lunches
- 5 dinners
- Wine included with 2 lunches at wineries, for other meals wine to be selected and paid locally
Classes & Instructors
Delve into the flavors of the Dordogne during your 3 hands-on cooking classes with Chef Pierre, who has long called the region home, as he was born here. While he speaks French, the hands-on classes will have a translator on hand to help him communicate his wealth of knowledge — over 30 years of experience — about the region. Courses all focus on the regional specialities, particularly duck and, of course, truffles! One of the courses will take place in a nearby chateau and focuses on other delicious treats of the region: pastries, such as apple tourtiere, rounding out your fabulous gastronomy getaway.
- Visit of Chateau d’Abzac in Bordeaux wine country
- Excursion to Perigueux including market visit with the chef
- Trip to truffle museum
- Visit of a goose and duck farm
- Visit of Saint Jean de Côle, one of the most beautiful villages in France
- Excursion to Bergerac, including chateaux and winery visits
- Transfers are not included but can be arranged to/from Perigueux train station for US$70 each way (2-3 people), or from Bergerac or Limoges at an additional cost. Alternatively, we are happy to assist you with a low-cost car rental.
Please note truffle hunting season is December until the middle of March.