Porra (Thick Cordovan-style Gazpacho)
Since summer isn’t quite over, our new program in Spain — Cooking in the Heart of Andalusian Olive Country — passed along this wonderful recipe! It was given to them by a close friend from the Subbetican moutain area; having been in his family for more than four generations. Maybe you can pass it along as well!
- ¼ kg ripe (plum) tomatoes, remove cores and roughly chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and roughly chopped
- 1 small Spanish onion; roughly chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- ½ cucumber, roughly chopped
- ¼ apple, roughly chopped
- 2-3 slices of stale bread; remove crusts, soak in water then drain
- 1 small glass of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small glass of sherry vinegar
- Salt and pepper
For the Garnishes
- One hard-boiled egg, chopped
- Finely sliced Serrano ham
- Chopped apple
1. Put all the ingredients in a blender or food processor for a few seconds or until smooth.
2. Season the soup and mix well.
3. Transfer into a large Gazpacho bowl and chill for at least 12 hours.
4. Serve the Gazpacho with the garnishes.