Orecchiette with Asparagus and Guanciale
The cuisine of Puglia is both simple and tasty, and many of their dishes in this sunny part of Italy are inspired by the sea as well as the countryside, with wheat, olive oil, and vegetables some of the most popular of ingredients. This particular recipe epitomizes rustic Apulian cuisine, and it comes from the kitchen of Chef Chiara, who leads cooking classes on her family-run masseria during A Culinary Adventure in Puglia.
Learn more fabulous recipes like this during a cooking vacation in Italy.
Serves 4 people
- 350 g (12 1/4 oz) orecchiette pasta
- 150 g (5 1/2 oz) asparagus tips, already boiled and chopped
- 200 g (7 oz) Guanciale
- 300 g (10 1/2 oz) cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Chili powder
1. Pour a few tablespoons of oil into a pan and then fry the chopped onion.
2. To the pan, add the guanciale, as well as the tomatoes and asparagus.
3. Season this sauce with salt, pepper, and chili powder. Thin with a little water and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes.
4. In a separate pot, boil pasta in salted water until al dente and drain.
5. Toss the pasta in the pan with the sauce, and finishing by adding the chopped parsley.
6. Serve the pasta immediately.