Chef Ana's Simple Ceviche
A delectable recipe from the wonderful Chef Ana of Hola Mexico!
- 1 lb. dorado or mahi-mahi cut into ½ inch cubes (or use other whitefish—the fresher the better!)
- 1 cup of fresh-squeezed lime juice to “cook” the fish in the refrigerator
- 1 white onion, chopped in ¼ inch squares
- 3 cups of Roma or Saladet tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup of cilantro, chopped
- 4 jalapeno chiles in vinegar, chopped
- 4 tablespoons of fresh‐squeezed lime for dressing
- ¼ cup of fresh‐squeezed orange juice
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- ¼ cup sliced olives
- 1 ripe avocado cut in small cubes
- Salt to taste
For serving: Tostadas, Totopos or Saltines
Splash of Hot Sauce to taste
Take the fish and cut into ½ inch cubes.
Place fish in the cup of lime juice in a rectangular Tupperware. Make sure there is enough lime juice to cover the fish. Place in the refrigerator for 3‐4 hours (maximum of 5 hours).
Discard the lime juice in the Tupperware and mix fish gently with all of the other ingredients. Don’t over‐stir or the fish may crumble.
Chef’s notes: Serve with saltines, tostadas (crisp corn tortillas) or totopos (crisp corn tortilla triangles). Add a splash of your favorite hot sauce, to taste. The ceviche goes very well with a lighter flavored beer like Modelo Especial or Pacifico.
©Chef Ana Isabel Garcia Moreno.