Recipe for the Fourth of July: Greek Salad from Chef Katerina
Forget the lettuce this Fourth of July, and create a bright and festive salad instead. This Greek salad comes from the kitchen of Chef Katerina, of one of our Greek Islands cooking vacations, and it can be a fun addition to any barbecue celebration you'll be hosting or going to this weekend. From the bright red of the tomatoes, to the bright greens of the peppers and cucumber, this dish not only looks great, but, with all these veggies, it's a healthy accompaniment to burgers and brats, too.
- 1 green pepper, deseeded and sliced into rings
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 1 medium cucumber, sliced
- 3 medium (or 2 large) ripe tomatoes, cut into thin wedges
- 5-8 kalamata olives
- 1 slice of feta cheese
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Fresh oregano or thyme leaves
1. In a large flat salad dish -- or a plate -- combine the sliced vegetables with olives and tomato wedges.
2. Lay the slice of feta on top. (Alternatively, you can cut the feta into cubes, or crumble it over the salad.)
3. Drizzle olive oil over the salad.
4. Sprinkle with oregano or thyme. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Have a great Fourth of July -- and long weekend -- everyone!
By Liz Hall