What Are You Doing New Year’s Eve?
What are you doing New Year’s Eve? Our culinary travelers for New Year’s Even 2017 had the opportunity to spend it in the province of Cádiz, Spain on a New Year’s culinary tour. Our partners for our Insider’s Gourmet Tour of Spain offered an amazing one-time only New Year’s culinary tour December 27-January 2 to ring in the New Year in style.
The southern tip of Spain, where Cadiz is located, is full of amazing history (seafarers!) and architecture (the Moors!). It’s also got some amazing gastronomy, including fresh fish and seafood and old bodegas making their own sherry. In fact, we consider Cádiz one of Spain’s greatest hidden secrets. Home to the sherry triangle composed of Jerez de la Frontera, the Puerta de Santa María and Sanlucar de Barrameda (one of the oldest cities in western Europe and birthplace to flamenco legends). Cadiz is a land of contrasts, from the whitewashed hilltop villages to the sun-soaked stretches of beaches on the aptly name Costa de la Luz (Coast of Light).
- A New Year’s eve celebration at Casa de Califa
- A horse show at the Royal Andalucian School of Equestrian Art
- Sherry tasting at very old traditional bodegas
- A walking tour of the oldest city in Spain, Cádiz
- A Flamenco performance
- Following the steps of the famed panter Goya on the tour of the Puerta de Santa Maria
- Visiting a famed family winery for brandy, sherry, and jamon tastings
- Tapas tour in Seville
- Lunch at a historic private club in Cadiz
- A cooking class with a Basque masterchef
- A dedicated host (and foodie) who will escort you
The accommodations were in lovely 4* hotels in Seville (1 night), Puerto da Santa Maria (3 nights), and Vejer de la Frontera (2 nights). The tour also included all the meals except for one, and transfers could be arranged for an additional cost.
Interested in replicating this amazing and deluxe food and wine tour in Spain.? Please contact us.
By Peg Kern
Sign up to receive our newsletter, which includes travel tips, recipes, promotions, and information on our best cooking vacations.
Originally published October 18, 2017.