Pork and apples — a wonderful combination for fall! Enjoy this simple but tasty recipe, brought to you from our fabulous Roman Countryside Discovery. This authentic culinary vacation in Italy takes place in the famed Ciociaria region south of Rome. It is a land full of religious, cultural, and gastronomic traditions that are celebrated in festivals throughout the year. It is also home to many charming villages, one of which is home for your cooking vacations!
Whether you are entertaining for the holidays or planning a lovely weeknight meal at home, this Ciociaran dish is sure to satisfy!
Pork Scaloppine alla Mela (Pork Scaloppine with Apples)
- 1 lb boneless pork roast, sliced thinly
- 1/4 c. butter
- 1/4 c. Marsala or Madeira wine
- 1/4 c. lemon juice mixed with 1/4 c. water
- 2 Granny Smith apples
1. Preheat oven to 350 degress.
2. Peel and ball the apples and place in a bowl with the wine, lemon and water.
3. Dredge the pork slices in flour, then saute in butter. When the juices begin to emerge on the upper side (after about 3 minutes), turn the pork slices and saute for an additional 3 minutes.
4. Remove pork from skillet and place in a glass baking dish. Deglaze the pan juices with the wine, lemon juice, water and the apple, scraping to incorporate any bits of meat stuck to the pan.
5. Pour the sauce over the pork slices and place in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes.
Book our Roman Countryside Discovery culinary tour of Italy and discover this beautiful, authentic corner of Italy for yourself!
By Peg Kern
Sign up to receive our newsletter, which includes travel tips, recipes, promotions, and information on our best cooking vacations.