Paris Cooking Class: Chef Frederic’s Fried Fruit With Honey and Thyme
No matter where you take a cooking class in Europe, you can be sure that you’re working with fresh, local ingredients, whether your class includes a market visit or not. That’s because fresh produce has a color and flavor that’s unrivaled. Fresh ingredients work, because they don’t need many, if any, spices or flavorings, and that’s nowhere more apparent than in this simple recipe from Chef Frederic in Paris.
His poêle de fruits au miel et au thyme (fried fruits with honey and thyme) is really quite simple. The key is making sure you buy the absolutely freshest produce, such as at the market near Père Lachaise cemetery, which is located very close to Chef Frederic’s apartment where he runs his Paris cookery courses.
Poêle de Fruits au Miel et au Thyme (Fried Fruits with Honey and Thyme)
Serves: 4 to 6
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
Cook method: Sauté
- 250 grams (8.75 ounces) strawberries
- 1 pineapple
- 250 grams (8.75 ounces) raspberries
- 3 soup spoons of liquid honey
- 3 branches of fresh thyme
1. First, wash the strawberries and then cut in two.
2. Peel and cut the pineapple into cubes.
3. In a very warm frying pan, put in the honey, and then let it boil for about 1 minute.
4. Add all the fruit to the pan, including the raspberries, and make them “jump,” which takes about 3 minutes.
5. Add the leaves of thyme and serve immediately.
The sweet, natural flavors are the perfect mid-afternoon snack or even dessert in late spring and early summer when the berries are in season. Bon appétit!
By Liz Hall
Sign up to receive our newsletter, which includes travel tips, recipes, promotions, and information on our best cooking vacations.