The variety in the Mediterranean diet of Provence is immense, from the fresh produce to the artisanal goat cheese and olive oil, all of which is sourced from the local markets. Seafood too plays an important role in the gastronomy. The number of dishes that include prawns alone are numerous.
One such dish is a crispy prawn recipe made with fresh basil, which comes from the kitchen of Chef Jean-Marc in Maubec. The chef and his wife realized their dream of opening a cooking school more than a decade ago, but it was only this past year where they moved their cooking classes from Lyon to sunny Provence.
These days in their lovely cooking atelier they highlight the richness of the land, and pair their three-course French menus with wonderful French wines.
Crispy Prawns with Fresh Basil
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 8 minutes
Cook method: Pan Fry
- 12 Prawns (with tail)
- 3 filo pastry sheets
- 12 basil leaves
- 80 grams (about 2 3/4 oz) mixed green salad
- 1 passion fruit
- 4 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- Table Salt
- White pepper
1. Shell the prawns, keeping the end of the tail.
2. Cut the filo pastry sheets in half, and then each half into two equal strips.
3. Season the prawn tails in salt and pepper, and then roll them in one pastry sheet strip, along with a small basil leaf. Put the prawns into the fridge.
4. Next, remove the pulp of the passion fruit, and mix it in a bowl with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper.
5. Fry the shrimp on both sides in a hot pan with olive oil until brown and crispy.
6. Decorate the plate with a dash of balsamic cream. Add the mixed green salad seasoned with passion fruit dressing.
7. Add three crispy prawn tails to each plate, and serve immediately.
By Liz Hall
Sign up to receive our newsletter, which includes travel tips, recipes, promotions, and information on our best cooking vacations.