July 7, 2020
We are often asked what our favorite destinations for the best cooking vacations are, and as I explained in our recent video (see below!), that…Read This Post
The variety in the Mediterranean diet of Provence is immense, from the fresh produce to the artisanal goat cheese and olive oil, all of which is sourced from the local markets. Seafood too plays an important role in the gastronomy. The number of dishes that include prawns alone are numerous.
One such dish is a crispy prawn recipe made with fresh basil, which comes from the kitchen of Chef Jean-Marc in Maubec. The chef and his wife realized their dream of opening a cooking school more than a decade ago, but it was only this past year where they moved their cooking classes from Lyon to sunny Provence. Today in their lovely cooking atelier they highlight the richness of the land, and pair their three-course French menu with wine. Founder of The International Kitchen, Karen Herbst, enjoyed this delicious dish on her recent visit to Provence this past August.
Crispy prawns with fresh basil (in passion fruit dressing and mixed green salad)
1. Shell the prawns, keeping the end of the tail.
2. Cut the pastry sheets in half, and then each half into two equal strips.
3. Season the prawn tails in salt and pepper, and then roll them in one pastry sheet strip, along with a small basil leaf. Put the prawns into the fridge.
4. Next, remove the pulp of the passion fruit, and mix it in a bowl with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper.
5. Sauté the tails on both sides in a hot pan with olive oil.
6. Decorate the plate with a dash of balsamic cream. Add the mixed green salad seasoned with passion fruit dressing.
7. Add three crispy prawn tails to each plate, and serve immediately.
This light but filling dish is wonderful for a small get together with family or friends. Want to learn more Provencal dishes? Come visit us during a cooking vacation or one-day cooking class.
By Liz Hall
Sign up to receive our newsletter, which includes travel tips, recipes, promotions, and information on our best culinary vacations.